Monday, June 23, 2014

Paper Bead Madness, Part Deux

OK I've gone completely paper bead happy.

First, I think I got a better photo of this bracelet here:


Here's some unglazed paper beads I made yesterday, hand-painted in watercolors.

This first batch seems very Arizona or desert to me so I think of them as Arizona Heat:


These look very aquatic to me so I think of them as Mermaid Garden:


These colors remind me of the bright, festive colors of Miami, so I call them Miami Fiesta:


All 3 groups of unglazed beads:


Now, I think I've learned something. It's all well and good to hand paint the paper before cutting and rolling it into beads, but (at least with the watercolors I'm using) the dry paint rubs off onto my fingers. This creates a slight smear when I apply the white glue to fix the wrapped bead in place. 

So I have some plans to avoid this problem. :)

I did make some other aquatic-looking beads and I glazed them last night. I don't have a photo of them yet but I must say this: I was pleasantly surprised to see that when the Mod Podge was applied, the paint didn't blend. The colors remained crisp, exactly as they appeared when I had completed painting the paper and it had dried. I just have to remember not to cut and roll the painted paper. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful beads Tracie, do you glaze them with mod podge or use something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using mod Podge first, then clear nail polish

    ReplyDelete